quinta-feira, 17 de setembro de 2009

Well, well... Mr. Orford


This post deserves a full coverage, that's why we are writing in english. Recently, a SS member, namely, Danda, sent an e-mail to Martin Orford. This guy was, untill last year, simply the keyboardist since 1983 from one of the greatest neo progressive band from England called IQ. The content speaks for itself. We have already been through this discussion and in matter of fact that's not the point here, though we can afford it pretty well if someone desires.

Click the image to enlarge and read the "no thanks to" part.

---------------------------

Date: 2009/9/15
Subject: Fan from Brazil! (please read my email)
To: gepuk@msn.com


Hello, Mr.Orford,
First I must say that I'm a big fan, I really admire your work. The Old Road is great!

Second, I'd like to say that I got really disappointed with the words you mentioned on the Old Road cover, in the part “no thanks to”. I was offended when I saw one of my idols saying that people who download or upload music on the web don’t deserve “thanks”. Just so you know, if wasn’t for people uploading this material on the web I would’ve never known your music (or IQ, or a thousand other bands). I live in a country called Brazil, this kind of music simply doesn’t get here by any means, and there are a few stores that sell imported records here, none of them in my city (the one stored that sold this kind of stuff doesnt exist no more). To download things from the web it’s the only way I can get to know new bands. Thanks to people who upload this stuff to the web I can now buy the original versions that I liked the most from foreign websites, like my recently purchased IQ – Subterranea Live dvd, that I bought from Amazon. And I need to carefully choose which ones I’m gonna buy, because when I buy something imported I have to pay, at least, 2 times what it costs because of taxes and currency differences. What costs 10 pounds for you to buy I pay the equivalent to 50 US dollars.

What you are saying basically is that I’m not entitled to hear new albums because I don’t have the money to buy them… Yeah, that sounds a really “pro-culture attitude”. The Old Road I got here is downloaded, but after your words I’m not really sure if it is worth to buy the original version.

I hope you re-think your attitude because I’m a huge fan, and I wouldn’t like to be disappointed by people that I so much admire.

Cheers,

Danda


--------------------------------------


From: Martin Orford <gepuk@msn.com>
Date: 2009/9/15
Subject: Re: Fan from Brazil! (please read my email)


Hi Danda
Illegal downloading might be good for you, but it is not good for me. In fact it has completely destroyed my musical career and I will not be making any more albums in the future because I simply can't afford to. I am now unemployed and living on welfare benefits so I have every right to be angry with the people and the Internet "culture" which has robbed me of the opportunity to make an honest (and never well-paid) living.
Having run GEP Records single-handed for many years I have now been forced to give that up as there is no money left to pay me even a very small wage for running the label. CD sales (which used to pay for new albums to be made) have dropped by about 80% in the last 3 years, and unsurprisingly most of the main distributors like Pinnacle and SPV (who not only sold CDs but also legal downloads) have gone out of business in the last 9 months. In my opinion this is entirely caused by illegal downloading and it really doesn't matter to me if people wouldn't have heard my music without resorting to Torrent sites. I'd rather have one fan who pays for their music than 100,000 who don't.
Making albums is very expensive and fans who don't buy anything are no use at all, and if that offends you, then too bad. I absolutely 100% don't think you have the right to hear albums if you're not prepared to pay for them, the same way that I don't have the right to walk into a shop and take something off the shelf without paying. It's no good playing the "poverty card" with me because I'm poor too!
If you are disappointed with my attitude then don't download my albums anymore - I shan't lose any sleep over that.
Martin Orford

--------------------------------


Oh, I won't even respond to your words. But you can be sure that I won't download or buy ANYTHING from an ignorant person like you.


Good luck.

--------------------------------

Good, suits me fine. People like you disgust me.
Martin Orford

13 comentários:

Anônimo disse...

Times are hard for the music industry in general and i think internet "revolution" is not the only "guilty" in this change. It's a matter of adaptation for many little compagnies records (like GEP etc) and it's always an history of big money (almost for the majors cie!).
M. Orford is right: anyone can't work for nothing in this world, but : does anyone can't heard music just because they have no money? NO
Maybe we want to rethink the music industry. Actors of this industry want to be positively reactive and not just cry and say "it's caused by blahblahblah illegals downloading". This opinion sucks.
The equation is not so simple...

Esquadrão SS disse...

Mr. Orford is thoroughly wrong in saying this well known speech. He is not young anymore and looks like obtuse. The music industry has dramatically changed as you sad and he should adapt, even for a band with that magnitude otherwise he'll be unemployed like apparently he is now.
Of course internet has changed everything and he is not taking advantages from it. Then if I have no money at all but access to internet nobody can stops me to hear my favourite music. Nevertheless I am not too extremist and we are talking about some music that can't reach us by the traditional way and Or(ford) has failed to understand something really simple and instead of that "disgusts" people who love their music. He prefers a world with people poor and ignorant than just poor.

Rodolfo

Cícero disse...

Esse cidadão aí viajou na maionese. Mas ele já está pagando por sua atitude desonesta. Ele não está pronto para o novo mundo que surgiu à partir da massificação da internet. Não só ele como todos os que participam das indústrias que se sustentavam explorando os consumidores. Estúdios de cinema adoravam lucrar com bilheterias e logo após com DVDs. As gravadoras e artistas idem, lucravam com CDs e shows.
A ditadura acabou, todo ser humano tem direito à informação. Bem vindo, Sr. Orford ao século XXI.

Marcello 'Maddy Lee' disse...

Graaaaaaaaaaaande RodolfoSS!!
Véi, entendo o lado do Orford; seria bem pior pra ele se fosse brasileiro, porque no Brasil nem com shows os músicos conseguem ganhar seu dinheiro suado (a menos que se deixem 'alugar' e toquem com 'artistas' do top de Zezé de Camargo, Alexandre Pires, Ivete Sangalo e coisas desse naipe). Mas, também, esse assunto não é tanto 'a Deus quanto ao Diabo', como dizem, porque ambos têm suas razões - ele por defender seu ganha-pão; nós, brasileiros, por não termos fácil acesso ao trabalho de tantas e tantas bandas estrangeiras.
A verdade é que o fim dessa discussão ainda está por ser visto, ainda bem longínquo, principalmente porque os próprios artistas, gravadoras e profissionais do ramo não se unem e nem se decidem pelo que que se deverá fazer no futuro.
Enquanto isso, eu, é claro, apóio todo e qualquer download - tanto quanto apóio comprar os discos originais (como eu mesmo faço, nas duas situações).
Só acho que ele não precisava ser tão radical.
Bem, se pelo menos o IQ fizesse um som realmente original, ele não estaria passando por esse aperto... hehehe

No mais, meu amigo, um grande abraço!
Valeu!
ML

Esquadrão SS disse...

Fala, Marcello, td blz? Primeiro eu gostaria de agradecer o comentário.

Em segundo lugar, gostaria de esclarecer que aqui nós entendemos o lado dos músicos que saem perdendo (monetariamente) com essa história, como é o caso do Sr.Orford. Porém, como lhe deve ter saltado à vista, o email incial que mandei a ele foi uma tentativa de mostrar um outro lado da moeda, o lado em que os downloads e uploads ajudam a divulgar um trabalho que jamais chegaria nas mãos de muitos fãs. Como eu disse, se não fosse esse meio eu jamais teria tido acesso ao conhecimento musical que tenho hoje e que isso me levou a adquirir material oficial da banda. Ou seja, nesse caso o 'tráfego ilegal de arquivos' na internet acabou ajudando os músicos envolvidos. Não nego que a internet mto atrapalha o ramo musical em termos comerciais, mas existe esse lado em que ela serve como ferramenta construtiva. Apenas visava que o Sr.Orford contemplasse esse argumento. Mas, como ficou bem claro, ele se mostrou uma pessoa completamente obtusa e fechada ao diálogo. "Fãs que não compram não servem pra nada" isso é simplesmente ignorância e uma completa falta de respeito, o cara nem agradeceu os elogios que eu fiz a ele. Então é fácil entender pq ele está nessa situação difícil... enquanto não abrir a cabeça para esse novo mundo as coisas vão ficar cada vez mais complicadas.

Bom, é basicamente isso. E concordo com vc tb na questão de que, se o cara fosse tão competente e original ele não estaria passando aperto, hehe.

Grande abraço!

Celso F. Araujo disse...

Grande SRodolfoS!
O Mr. Orford é realmente um asshole por escrever dessa maneira em resposta a uma mensagem educada, elogiosa e democrática como a sua. Duvido que a situação financeira dele esteja como ele descreveu; se assim for a culpa é esclusiva dele pois ele tem anos e anos de estrada e deveria saber que qualquer um que seja autônomo deve fazer seu pé-de-meia para o futuro.
Abração!

f.o.c disse...

Que safado esse cara... Tá achando que é o centro do universo, que tudo tem q rodar ao redor dele e para ele. Não sei daonde ele é, mas isso me cheira a sulista norte-americano da década de 30, se ele não for, já sabe aonde morar e ser feliz com sua ignorância. FDP

Anônimo disse...

Don't get me wrong. I love Martin's music. But, it seems to me he's quite bitter for little reason. First of all, he apparently never thought that music wouldn't be enough to provide. He should have taken a course in accounting, or business management, or horticulture....Anything to have something to fall back on! And really folks, he chose prog rock to make a living at. While he was with the best of the best, it's still a niche market. Barely a speck on the horizon for most companies. He could have been keyboardist for anyone. But, he chose his fate. Someone needs to grow up, and I don't think it's Danda!

Edson d'Aquino disse...

Falaê, Rodolfo!
Mentalidade típica de burguês arrogante achar que quem não tem meios financeiros deveria ser proibido de consumir cultura. Muito fácil para um europeu que compra cds a 0,1% do salário mínimo vigente em qq país do velho continente; que tem belos shows de bandas consagradas com frequência e 'di grátis' em shows avulsos e festivais; que, mesmo qdo necessário pagar, um mega espetáculo custa em torno de 10% do salário mínimo; e muitos outros blás.
Pensei em responder em inglês mas me indigno melhor em português.
E ainda bem que não sou fã (nem sequer gosto) de IQ (por falar nisso, o do Sr. Orford deve ser inferior a 25, né?) pois deixaria de sê-lo no instante em que recebesse esta resposta deselegante.
Fuck You, Mr. Orford!
[]ões a todos

Anônimo disse...

É um babaca sim! interpretou mal o email...super ignorante! nao reconheceu os elogios...e é muito otario por dizer que prefere um fã que compre o cd, do que mil que baixe na internet! se queria ganhar dinheiro, como almeja, nao ia pro ramo do rock progressivo...
E realmente, se fosse fodao o suficiente nao tava na merda, como diz!!
Livre download...até a morte! haiuahiauhaiuhaa
Carol!!!

Esquadrão SS disse...

Isso ae, Carol! hiuahaiuah

Edson, falou a verdade, mentalidade de burguês. Se eu n tenho grana n posso ter acesso à cultura? My ass! Que todos sejam libertados dessas amarras estúpidas do mercado!

Danda.

M. disse...

Que cara estúpido.
Pra responder desse jeito, nem morrendo de fome... pq quem tá com fome sabe tratar os outros pra conseguir suas migalhas.
É um babaca...

Pedro Medeiros disse...

Sem falar que do CD vendido em loja, menos de 10% vai pro músico. Ridículo.

Lojas de música online não são muito diferentes, pois esses abutres da RIAA (record industry association of america) colocam tantas restrições que eles acabam levando 80% da venda de música, pior, eles precisam fazer menos ainda pra justificar esse preço! (Não precisam, por exemplo, pagar artista de capa de CD, encarte, prensagem de CD, etc. etc.)

Tá mais do que na hora dessa cambada de sanguessuga da RIAA morrer. Afinal, o modelo de negócios deles já foi na frente. >:)

O sr. Orford devia direcionar a raiva dele contra quem realmente o explora ao invés de usar analogias furadas como download ser o mesmo que roubo. Patético.